Thursday, July 23, 2015

Day 11: 30-day #noFacebook Challenge - Echo chamber

Just because there's more noise doesn't mean there's more happening...

It feels quiet on the outside of Facebook. I definitely feel the alone-ness more out here, the silence is palpable somehow. I have more space, more time to spend in my own head. It's not being filled up with thoughts from the content mill anymore. It's there to be filled up with me.

I've been thinking that just because there's more action on Facebook, more notifications, more posts to draw your eye, doesn't necessarily mean there's more going on. It just one big echo chamber where the nothing keeps getting bounced around in the form of inane news articles about Donald Trump and the latest personality quiz telling you what your spirit animal is and which Harry Potter character you were in a past life. Instead of being still and silent so that you can fill it with your own thoughts.

You take the same quiz over and over and it tells you the same thing about yourself every time, which is exactly what you want to hear or believe about yourself. There's nothing new under the sun. Only now you have an outside source to validate it for you.

The so-called news is almost as bad as the "Forward this to at least 307 friends or you'll have bad luck for 10 years" post...

And how many people actually read what their friends' responses are to those "7 new things about me" surveys they tag you in? Nobody is looking at anybody but themselves. It's one big Echo Chamber reflecting you back to you, reflecting me back to me.

4 comments:

  1. So true! I need to take a 30-day respite from FB. But it's like any other addiction... I'll do that tomorrow. Right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! When it's right for you, you'll make the break. I just woke up one day and knew that I needed to get out. Let me know when it happens for you! I'm happy to support ya any way I can. :D

      Delete