Thursday, July 16, 2015

Day 4: 30-day No Facebook challenge - Much Ado About Nothing

"Then sigh not so, but let them go,
And be you blithe and bonny,
Converting all your sounds of woe
Into hey nonny nonny "

Today's been better as far as the Facebook cravings go. I recorded a podcast episode with my good friend and colleague Merianna Harrelson (I'll link to it when it goes live) in which we discussed productivity and the need for focus... and how Facebook can be the enemy of focus. It's always vying for your attention. That's what all those little notifications are for... to draw your eyes back to it, instead of to what is most important.

Your phone buzzes, or a little red number catches your eye and suddenly you're not working on that project or writing that blog post or engaging with your friends and family anymore. You're looking at your phone, scrolling through the feed and being distracted by what everyone else is doing at that moment.

This thirty day challenge is my attempt to break free, to take back my consciousness, to be present. And I feel like I did better, felt better, focused better today. It's a relief, actually, to be able to walk away from the computer and not worry about what I'm missing. I'm sure I'm missing something... but I want to care more about here and now.

“I can see he's not in your good books,' said the messenger.
'No, and if he were I would burn my library.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment